Patient Preparation for the Procedure
- On the day of the exam you may eat normally. You should not take calcium supplements for at least 24 – 48 hours before your exam.
- You should wear loose, comfortable clothing, avoiding garments that have zippers, belts or buttons made of metal.
- You should bring a complete list of your current medications to your dexa scan appointment.
- You may be asked to remove some or all of your clothes and to wear a gown during the exam. You may also be asked to remove jewelry, eye glasses and any metal objects or clothing that might interfere with the x-ray images.
- Inform your physician if you recently had a barium examination or have been injected with a contrast material for a computed tomography (CT) scan or radioisotope scan. You may have to wait 10 to 14 days before undergoing a DEXA test.
- Women should always inform their physician or x-ray technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant.
(Reference: BRRG Procedures and WWW.radiologyinfo.org)